Saturday, July 25, 2009

Saturday Update

Yesterday was strange day. Went to work not knowing what would happen. As soon as I entered the Granby Building I knew it was not going to be a very good start to the day. The burnt electrical smell was almost unbearable. You could even taste it. After about an hour most of us were feeling ill, some were getting headaches and a few were even light headed. We were taking turns going outside to get fresh air. The decision to let us go home came in around 10. I was pretty glad I did not have to put up with that smell all day.

When I got home Doug was still gone on his fishing excursion. He arrived about a half hour later. I went outside to see if he needed any help with his gear and a cop drove by. He stopped and asked if we had heard any fireworks. We had and told him this has been going on for many days. Someone in the neighborhood shoots off a bottle rocket once about every five minutes, sometimes for hours at a time.

We went to Pizza Ranch for lunch and I probably ate way too much. Later I had a stomach ache, not sure if it was from the food or the smells earlier in the day. Later we also grilled brats for supper.

After supper we settled in to watch TV and Doug also watched the radar for the storm that was brewing. Sometime between 8 & 8:30 he said there was going to be hail and we needed to get the cars to shelter. We decide to drive to Lindale to go under the parking ramp. We left about 3 minutes too late. We got soaked running out to the cars and there was flash flooding everywhere on the streets. Once we could almost not see the road because the rain was coming down so hard. We finally made it to the parkade safely. We stayed there for about 15 minutes and then drove home. The worst of the storm had passed. Later on the news they were showing corn fields that had been destroyed, the stalks were broken in half.

Wanda, Mark and Amber stopped by around 10 to show us Amber's new car and to bring us half a watermelon. They left on vacation early this morning and did not want the melon to go to waste.

I am excited about the stamping party this afternoon. It should be fun. I just hope there are no crazy drivers on the road.