The following were some comments made in the year 1957:
(This definitely makes you feel old when you were born
in 1958.)
(1) "I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the
way they are, its going to be impossible to buy a weeks
groceries for $20.00."
(2) "Have you seen the new cars coming out next year?
It won't be long when $5,000 will only buy a used one."
(3) "If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to
quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous."
(4) "Did you hear the post office is thinking about
charging a dime just to mail a letter?"
(5) "If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will
be able to hire outside help at the store."
(6) "When I first started driving, who would have thought
gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be
better off leaving the car in the garage."
(7) "Kids today are impossible. Those ducktail hair cuts
make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know,
boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls."
(8) "I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more.
Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying 'damn'
in 'Gone With The Wind,' it seems every new movie has either
'hell' or 'damn' in it."
(9) "I read the other day where some scientist thinks
it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the
century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts
preparing for it down in Texas."
(10) "Did you see where some baseball player just signed
a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't
surprise me if someday that they will be making more than
the President."
(11) "I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen
appliances would be electric. They are even making electric
typewriters now."
(12) "It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where
a few married women are having to work to make ends meet."
(13) "It won't be long before young couples are going to
have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both
work."
(14) "No one can afford to be sick any more, $35.00 a day
in the hospital is too rich for my blood."
(15) "I'm just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open
the door to a whole lot of foreign business."
(16) "Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the
Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder
if we are electing the best people to Congress."
(17) "The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather,
but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on."
(18) "I guess taking a vacation is out of the question now
days. It costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel."
Long and Winding
16 years ago
